Hyundai Motor Reports May 2015 Global Sales
• Hyundai Motor Company posts global sales of 389,299 vehicles in May.
• Hyundai Motor’s cumulative global sales for the first five months totalled
2,009,409 units, a year-on-year decrease of 3.6%.
June 5, 2015 – Hyundai Motor Company, South Korea's largest automaker, reported its sales results for May 2015, recording a total of 389,299 units sold. This figure represents a 6.4% decline compared to the same month of 2014.
Hyundai Motor’s cumulative global sales for the first five months totalled 2,009,409 units, a year-on-year decrease of 3.6%.
Hyundai Motor is planning to boost sales in the global market with new models such as the All-new Tucson and Creta despite unfavorable conditions in the market.
■ May 2015 Sales Review
- Slowing growth in emerging markets and impact from currency fluctuations have been the main culprit for the global sales drop.
- In May, Hyundai Motor posted YoY sales decrease in the Korean market (-8.2% with 54,990 units sold) and the overseas market (-6.1% with 334,309 units sold).
- Generally, the shipment from most of the overseas plants fell in May compared to the previous year. However, Czech Plant’s shipment recorded an 8% growth largely due to 22% increase of ix35 shipment.
- Shipment from US plant fell by 17% YoY mainly due to fewer working days. (Working days in May 2015 were 16 days, 5 days less than last year due to the decision to take an early summer vacation. Normally, summer vacation falls in July.)
- Brazil Plant’s shipment fell by 17% YoY as well. Nevertheless, Hyundai Motor’s market share rose by 0.6% (from 6.0%) to 6.6% due to the automotive industry sales in Brazil falling by 26% YoY.
- China Plant’s shipment fell by 12% YoY. This was in part due to a slowdown in demand as consumers delay purchases in anticipation of new models to be launched in 2H.
May 2015 Results:
■ In General (Domestic Sales/Overseas Sales)
Unit = one vehicle
1. Commercial Vehicles (CV) include LCV, buses and trucks.
2. Hyundai Motor currently has overseas plants in Brazil, China, the Czech Republic, India, Russia, Turkey and the U.S.
3. Domestic Production relate to the vehicles produced in Korea for the overseas markets.
■ By Overseas Plants (Breakdown of Overseas Shipment)
Unit = one vehicle
* ‘Consignment (EU)’ includes the amount of vehicles produced by Karsan (Turkish commercial vehicles manufacturer) on consignment.
About Hyundai Motor
Established in 1967, Hyundai Motor Company is committed to becoming a lifetime partner in automobiles and beyond. The company, which leads the Hyundai Motor Group, an innovative business structure capable of circulating resources from molten iron to finished cars, offers top-quality best-sellers such as Elantra, Sonata and Genesis. Hyundai Motor has eight manufacturing bases and seven design & technical centers worldwide and in 2014, sold 4.96 million vehicles globally. With almost 100,000 employees worldwide, Hyundai Motor continues to enhance its product line-up with localized models and strives to strengthen its leadership in clean technology, starting with the world’s first mass-produced hydrogen-powered vehicle, ix35 Fuel Cell.
Global PR Team
+82 (0)2 3464 2152 ~ 2160
# # #