• January sales totaled 304,076 units, down 3.6% y/y
• Sales in Korea declined 21% y/y to 47,591 units on fewer working days due to holidays
• Sales outside of Korea slightly rose to 256,485 units vs. 254,954 units a year earlier
SEOUL, February 3, 2020 – Hyundai Motor Company today announced January global sales of 304,076 units, a 3.6 percent drop from a year earlier.
Sales at Hyundai’s home market declined 21 percent year-over-year (y/y) to 47,591 units from 60,440 units as the Lunar New Year holiday fell in January this year (compared to February in 2019), cutting work days at domestic plants.
Hybrid models drew keen interest from customers in Korea with sales of Sonata hybrid increasing more than four-fold from the same month last year, while sales of Grandeur (sold as Azera in some markets) hybrid model jumped more than 40 percent.
Pre-orders for GV80, the Genesis luxury brand’s first SUV that made its world premier during the month, hit nearly 20,000 units within 10 working days since its launch, bolstering outlook for brisk sales for the rest of the year.
For markets other than Korea, sales climbed slightly to 256,485 units compared with 254,954 units in 2019, as solid demand in North America, Latin America, Asia and the Middle East regions helped support shipment amid shrinking auto industry demand worldwide.
Sales Results (Units)
* Monthly sales figures provided in this press release are unaudited and on a preliminary basis...
1. Sales in Korea is based on retail sales while overseas sales (global sales excluding Korea) is based on wholesales.
2. Sales result includes entire sedan, SUV and CV models produced by Hyundai Motor.
- End -
About Hyundai Motor Company
Established in 1967, Hyundai Motor Company is committed to becoming a lifetime partner in automobiles and beyond with its range of world-class vehicles and mobility services available in more than 200 countries. Hyundai sold more than 4.5 million vehicles globally in 2018 and is currently employing more than 110,000 employees worldwide. Hyundai Motor continues to enhance its product line-up with vehicles that are helping to build solutions for a more sustainable future, such as NEXO, the world’s first dedicated hydrogen-powered SUV.
More information about Hyundai Motor and its products can be found at:
http://worldwide.hyundai.com or http://globalpr.hyundai.com