Hyundai IONIQ 5 named UK Car of the Year 2022.
- Ground-breaking Hyundai IONIQ 5 takes top honour at the UK Car of the Year Awards
- 451km range EV also crowned Best Family Car
- Hailed by judges as “the future of motoring, but here today”
- Follows a string of prestigious awards throughout 2021 and early 2022
- Hyundai i20 N also recognised at UK Car of the Year Awards as Best Performance Car
The claiming of the top honour in the UK Car of the Year Awards came after the IONIQ 5 was also awarded the Best Family Car category where it was praised for making “going electric easy” and being “innovative, desirable, practical, and brilliantly designed to make full use of its electric-only platform.”
The Hyundai i20 N was also recognised, beating a host of established sports cars to lift the Best Performance Car title. The hot hatch can dispatch 0-100km/h in only 6.7 seconds and comes fitted with an efficient 150kW 1.6 T-GDi petrol engine, and the judges were suitably impressed, hailing it as “quite the performer at an affordable price.”
Since its introduction in 2021, the Hyundai IONIQ 5 has won many admirers thanks to its attractive design, range of up to 451km and the ability to rapid recharge from 10% to 80% in just 18 minutes.
As a result, it’s picked up a string of prestigious awards. In July last year, it was named Car of the Year in the 2021 Auto Express New Car Awards, and also triumphed in the Mid-Size Company Car, Premium Electric Car and Design categories.
There was further success in October when it was crowned Best Designed Car of the Year in the 2021 News UK Motor Awards, and also awarded Motoring Innovation of the Year for its relaxation seats and Vehicle-to-Load (V2L) functionality.
That same month, the Hyundai IONIQ 5 was recognised in the Carbuyer Best Car Awards 2022, where it was named Best Company Car and Best Family Electric Car. And just a month later, there were more celebrations as it was recognised as Best Car at the 2021 EE Pocket-lint Awards. The success story has continued into 2022, with another Car of the Year title at the Company Car and Van awards. And in late January, the Hyundai IONIQ 5 was named overall winner in the 2022 Company Car Today CCT 100 Awards, as well as Premium EV of the Year.
The sleekly styled Hyundai IONIQ 5 pays homage to the marque's design heritage while focusing on delivering the future of electric mobility to customers today. Thanks to Hyundai's industry-disrupting new Electric Global Modular Platform (E-GMP), the IONIQ 5 provides faster charging times, increased driving range, enhanced handling, and superior interior space.
The modular, flat-floor E-GMP has also enabled Hyundai’s designers to revolutionise the car interior. The IONIQ 5 redefines what is possible with a completely new in-car experience and living space, offering sustainable materials, fully flexible seating, and numerous custom options.
Since launching locally in October 2021 IONIQ 5 has already claimed a number of prestigious awards in Australia, including:
- 2021 carsales Car of the Year
- 2021 News Corp Car of the Year
- 2021 carsales Car of the Year People’s Choice
- 2021 News Corp EV of the Year
- 2021 Good Design Awards - Gold Winner: Automotive and Transport Category
- 2021 Good Design Awards - Automotive Interior Design Award
- 2022 Drive Car of the Year - Best Electric Vehicle under $100k